Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Procrastination Monkey

Inside the mind of a master procrastinator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arj7oStGLkU&t=4s
Ted Talks
By: Tim Urban
April 6, 2016

Procrastinators leave everything to the last minute. Normal people only have a rational decision-maker. With procrastinators, there`s this instant gratification monkey in our mind that says, `` lets go to Wikipedia and read all about the Nancy Kerrigan Harding scandal, then we`ll look at the fridge to see if there`s anything new from the last time we checked 10 minutes ago. After that, we`ll go to YouTube and start with videos of  Richard Feynman talking about maggots and ends with interviews of Justin Beiber`s mom. It will take a while, so we won`t have any time for any actual work, sorry.`` Procrastinators spend a lot of time in `the dark playground`, where we do leisure activities when we aren`t supposed to. So, how do the procrastinators get any work done. Procrastinators have another thing in their brain called `the panic monster`. The monkey is scared of the panic monster and runs away. That`s when the rational decision-maker takes back over and we start doing our work. However, we all have a bit of procrastination in ourselves. Whether when we look for a job, or looking to move out of the parents house. When we don`t have a deadline, the panic monster does not need to come out, so he doesn`t.

This is one of my favourite Ted Talks. I`m a bit of a procrastinator. My sister is the one that says, `have you started the blogs yet` and I say, `yes, in a few days.` It took forever for me to start on the blog posts that we are supposed to do Christmas break. However, I have a job, so there wasn`t much time left on doing them. So, I stayed up late to do them, and the other homework I had. Hearing about all of this makes me want to not procrastinate. Even though I can`t help it sometimes, I try to do the work in class so that I don`t procrastinate on something very important. I had started on movie trailers, then interviews with 5SOS, then dances, then I stumbled across Ted Talks. I think I should set earlier deadlines then needed, so the panic monster wakes up and I don`t stay awake until 2am. This is definitely a positive change towards my mental health and my marks in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment