Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Moon Moon

’Supermoon’ no fantastic phenomenon, but the moon still fascinates.
http://ottawacitizen.com/news/world/supermoon-no-fantastic-phenomenon-but-the-moon-still-fascinates
Ottawa Citizen
November 13, 2016

The moon will be the closest it has ever been to earth since about 70 years ago. This so called `supermoon` was last closest since 1948 and won`t be this close again until 2034. It can reflect up to 30% more light than when it`s at its farthest point of orbit in that moment, though casual viewers are not likely to notice a difference. Attwood thinks that media is mostly responsible for naming these lunar events and that the only positive is that it gets humans looking at the moon. An English professor, William Barker says that the moon has always loomed large over human consciousness. The moon is still great and mysterious in the way that it changes. Its phases have been tied to love, fertility, werewolves, and insane behaviour. The moon is a constant in literature, from mythology to Grimm`s fairy tales. Barker believes that the human quest for explanations for everything may explain why the supermoon still inspires wonder.

My family has always been interested in the stars and moon. My brother got a telescope for his birthday. Hearing all of this makes me want to experience a lunar eclipse and a solar eclipse. I think this is such a positive topic to talk about as it`s so cool. I find it interesting that astronomers don`t name the events, but that the media does. I want to find more out about space and the different phases of the moon. I think space is the most interesting science topic for kids and it`s a good way to get them involved in science. This topic can change the way I see space and it makes me think that it`s so much cooler.

Optics

No comments:

Post a Comment