Friday, January 13, 2017

Alberta's Fracking Earthquakes

Study sheds light on Alberta’s fracking earthquakes
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/alberta/study-sheds-light-on-albertas-fracking-earthquakes/article32892397/
Globe And Mail
November 17, 2016

David Eaton has been studying earthquakes that has shaken the Fox Creek region of northwestern Alberta for years. Some research suggests that hydraulic fracking can cause earthquakes in about two ways. One of those ways can cause tremors for months, even after activity stops. The largest earthquake in Alberta measured between 4.2 and 4.8 on the Richter scale. The area has experienced tremors since 2013. Research on the earthquakes all point towards hydraulic fracking. The area is in the centre of the Duvernay oil and gas field. Hydraulic fracking involves pumping high-pressure fluids undergrounds, which makes tiny cracks in rock and releases natural gas or oil inside. They were steeply dipping faults that extended from the injection level down into the Precambrian basement. Eaton said that although the most powerful quake occurred due to pore pressure, it's too soon to conclude that more dangerous quakes are created that way.

I think the people doing hydraulic fracking should be more careful. Even though on the Richter scale, the most powerful earthquake was moderate, it might get more powerful as time goes by. This is a positive topic. I think it's positive because more people should know the effects of stuff like this. If people do hydraulic fracking, they should probably keep it higher than the Precambrian basement. I think it got more dangerous because of how far down it was. This doesn't affect my life though. I'm not going to get a job in this field, so I think it should also be left to professionals. That is all I think about this topic.

Climate Change

No comments:

Post a Comment