Saturday, January 7, 2017

Dwarf Galaxies

Large number of dwarf galaxies discovered in the early universe
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161121161915.htm
University of California - Riverside
November 21, 2016

The smallest and dimmest galaxies in the universe. They are incredibly important for understanding the history of the universe. It is believed that dwarf galaxies played a significant role in the reionization era in transforming the universe from dark and neutral to bright and transparent. Distant dwarf galaxies are beyond the reach of telescopes as they are so faint. However, using gravitational lensing causes the background object to be brighter and larger, meaning we can discover the dwarf galaxies. These dwarf galaxies are 10 to 100 times fainter than other galaxies that have been observed. The dwarf galaxies were studied and it shows that they were even more abundant earlier, but has evolved. Despite the faintness, the dwarf galaxies more than half of the ultraviolet light this era. These galaxies will be the primary targets of the next generation of telescopes.

This is the coolest thing I have ever heard of. I want to keep on learning more and more about space. Since there is so much in space we haven’t explored or haven't learnt about, it makes it that much cooler when learning about it. I think this is such a positive topic and we should learn more about space in school. It doesn't influence much of my decisions in the future. I already know what I want to do after high school and I don't learn this in schools, so I can not imagine a huge career or anything for this. It’s more of an interest.

Optics

No comments:

Post a Comment